Monday, June 4, 2012

a time and a place for all things

PREFACE: A lot of times, I am surprised about how little elements in my life connect up. I’ll be reading a book, or watching a movie, and something relevant to my life will pop up. Insane people will take this as a sign that Fate exists in our lives. I believe all these connections are always there, but I only notice them when convenient.  It’s like cherry picking your data. I think numerology is stupid, too.

*  *  *  *  * 

So, I’m reading this book, and there’s a weird billionaire seen through the eyes of a naïve, yet intelligent young woman. When I read a review, I expected the billionaire to be this freak, and almost didn’t buy the book. Well, here I am, a few pages in, and, surprisingly I’m on the billionaire’s side when it comes to many of his quirks. For instance, he doesn’t sleep in the same bed with anyone. This is a sign of his bizarre nature. I think he just sleeps better alone. I, too, sleep better alone. It is a treat to share a bed with someone, but treats every day will give you type-2 diabetes.  (That was a joke).

Another example of his peculiarity: he is often abrupt in his work communications. Even within the context of the story, he gets a steady stream of phone calls and visitors and each time he is abrupt to the point of rudeness. The heroine thinks it is rude; I call it efficient. If every one of his minions got the idea it was okay to be chatty, this guy’s world would be a nightmare; at least his work day would be a hell of a lot longer. In order to have a life, an executive needs that level of efficiency and detachment.

Where is this going? Nowhere fast. The larger issue for me is compartmentalization. I am all excited because I have vacation coming up. And when I’m vacationing, I want to be so far removed from work that I am like a different person. You dress differently for vacation than for work, right? But should you adjust your personality, too? Maybe it’s weird, but I do it, and I like it. I think it is a natural extension of compartmentalization. Heck, on vacation, I often change my name. (Genesis: Corky). Soon, I will try to put aside the more mundane portions of my existence in favor of fun-loving Vacation Dongo. 

When I spend time with my GF, Jenn, I try not to talk about work. Primarily, I do this because I don’t think she would find it interesting. (And generally, we have a lot better things to do). I have to admit, though, that I don’t really want Jenn getting too familiar with Work Dongo. I behave differently at work, out of necessity. It’s kind of like sailing. When sailing, there is a skipper. When I’m skipper, I have no problem making decisions, issuing commands. When I am crew, I have no problems abiding by the skipper’s decisions and following the skipper’s commands. I think many lovers would be surprised to see their loved ones out sailing. I often say: there's some people you just shouldn't sail with. It’s the same at the office—maybe we should just leave that where it belongs…nicely compartmentalized.

I was going to chatter on a bit about Pavlov’s dogs and how I’ve conditioned myself for various activities, including vacation. When the vacation bell rings, I start to salivate. Sound familiar?

I wonder, though, if the way I’ve tailored my life has changed me?  Intellectually, of course, I’m sure of it. Is it a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment