Sunday, August 26, 2012

50 shades of finished


It has been an interesting run. I read all 3 books. I liked the second best. I am ambivalent about the overall experience. It was a good story, told poorly. Most of the excitement, for me, came from the shared experience of so many friends reading it simultaneously—and their shock at some of the racier ideas. Of course, I went to Catholic school, so that’s sort of like stacking the deck a bit. 

I do not want to rehash a lot of the usual reviews of this story, but true to my thoughts on romance, I can’t let the fairytale ending go. Yuck. And, of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that the heroine is an idiot. Well, maybe “idiot” is a little harsh, but I found myself sympathizing more with the evil dictator, control freak than with the “normal” girl. And lastly, I’m a guy that really gets into the willing suspension of disbelief. I have no problems with aliens chasing each other around with light sabers, Hobbits wandering the Shire, heck, even a Bahamian crab singing to a wee mermaid. Why can’t I believe in a ridiculously handsome, kinky, hung, 27 year old billionaire who hooks up with a multi-orgasmic virgin for a little light spanking?

2 comments:

  1. Kelly is the only other person I have talked to who has read them all. Lu is in the middle of book two and not too thrilled with it, if I may say so. You know me, I finished book one and was happy that she left the psycho behind.
    But it was more than just that. I, too, was hung up on the incorrect verbiage, (the term "fetch" is used so often--how many people in Seattle use that word?) the fact that she could have orgasms so easily (and even knew what they were having never masturbated and being a virgin) AND the notion of 'changing' someone--or, more appropriately, 'someone changing'...is just too much fiction for me. People do not change...ESPECIALLY 27 year old handsome (well hung) billionaires. I just don't buy it. I will say, I am glad I read the first one...AND, I am happy for ANYONE who allows themselves to read and enjoy it and even let it turn them on a bit. (Especially all your Catholic school friends!)
    Looking forward to 50 shades of amazing conversation on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say???.....Silly verbiage aside, I'm a sucker for a "happy ending" at the apex of my thighs!! ;)

    ReplyDelete