Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chucking

I often joke about retiring and opening a beach bar in the Caribbean, Dongo’s by the Sea. (Check out dongosbythesea.com). In fact one of my best ideas is to open a floating bar in the middle of the Grand Bahama Bank. Talk about remote! I can’t figure out how to make that one possible, but what fun it would be!

I really like my job, but sometimes the idea of just chucking it all and embracing each day having fun really appeals. Hey, I liked the movie, “Running Scared,” and “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” plays on many of my playlists. Could I do it? Probably not…yet.

I was chatting with my neighbor just this morning. We joked about how happy the bums are, standing in the sunshine on beautiful Southern California days, while the schmucks are toiling away in offices staring at computer screens and getting stomach cancer. Yes, I am one of the schmucks.

Back in the day, I would have pointed to my possessions; my many toys and cool electronic gizmos, and said: the bums don’t have all these nifty things! Nowadays, however, two things have changed. First, I don’t seem to care about possessions as much, and second, the bums are doing a good job of keeping up with the gizmos.

Where will I be in 10 years? Under an overpass in LA? Asleep in the sun on St. Lucia? In the ground, feeding the worms? Or still chained to this desk…?

No comments:

Post a Comment