Friday, September 21, 2012

ahhhhh


It happens every year about this time. It makes me smile every time.

I love summer. I love the long days. I love the heat. 

Every year about this time, I am caught off guard when the nighttime temperature drops, seeming suddenly. It happened just the other night. 

Another thing that creeps up on me is the short nightfall. I am accustomed to the long days of summer. Like the First Cool Night, the other night twilight crept up on me. I looked at the clock...wow. 

Perhaps my favorite thing about these events is that, in Southern California, both are followed by hot, gorgeous summer days. The message is the same each year: summer will end, so prepare yourself...but not yet.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who gets up with the chickens--ok, before most chickens--I LOVE when the nights become longer...I LOVE to have it dark at 5pm and LIGHT at 5am! I love the cool breeze in the house and pumpkins on the front porch and lower electric bills and fires in the fireplace...
    It's the end of baseball which means my cable goes off for the next six months. I'll watch movies and read books and go to bed early and
    ...enjoy each minute while awaiting spring.

    ReplyDelete