Saturday, November 3, 2012

bittersweet



My youngest is on his way to Utah for seasonal work at a ski resort. He visited for several weeks between his gigs in Alaska and Utah. Over breakfast this morning, we talked about timing. He’s been anxious to get back to work, which is quite the change for him. He’s maturing. I told him that time off is like a half gallon of ice cream—a little bit is a real pleasure, but too much at a time is a problem. My guess is that after a long summer session in Alaska, a couple of weeks off are plenty. Of course, this varies from person to person, but I have definite opinions about vacations. It’s good that he felt it was too long in more than just his wallet.

For me, I am sad to see him go. I missed him while he was away. It was nice having him visit. But, like time off, having a houseguest can go on a little long. That, of course, varies from houseguest to houseguest.
Returning from LAX, I am strangely upbeat. The boy is off for another adventure and he’ll mature. It will be fun to find out how much when he comes back. 

For me, personally, I am very pleased to have my house back. I cheerfully set to some chores and it was a genuine delight to clean the kitchen and restock the fridge. My plants are being watered and laundry is spinning. As much as it was nice to have Kevin around, it’s invigorating to have my privacy back. This is my space.

No comments:

Post a Comment