Sunday, November 27, 2011

Batch Lore

After a plethora of family and friends, I had some alone time down at the boat this weekend. I don't get down there enough these days, so it was a welcome treat. The weather was magnificent! Yes, Southern California and all, but at 85 degrees F, sunny with a nice breeze, it was really quite amazing. The sun just sparkled on the water.

As I often do when I want to treat myself, I walked over to 22nd Street Landing for a solo dinner. I think the staff recognizes me now, as I get a warm greeting and enough attention to make me feel special. As usual, I start with an oyster shooter, followed by the omnipresent rum. Going all out, I ordered a shellfish combo appetizer and crab stuffed bass for entree. 




It was delicious! Afterward, I stumbled back to the boat, puttered a bit, then crashed early.

Sunday morning dawned and found me refreshed and eager for the day. I took a shower in the locker room, then wandered over to the Doubletree for some breakfast. As I waited for my omelet, I marveled at the beauty of my surroundings. The sun was shining again, and a lovely breeze had trees and flags dancing. I ordered a bloody mary.


As I sat there sipping that great drink that I have not had in years, I felt sort of lonely. Here was a host of sensual pleasures eager to be shared and I was on my own. The setting was just too gorgeous for a momentary flash of loneliness to bring me down. The conversation at the next table wafted my way; middle aged couple, staying at the hotel. Complaints about the price of the hotel, then some chit chat critical of the hotel itself. I lost interest, sipped my drink and suddenly was appreciative that I was alone. This couple felt the need to fill up the space between them and did so with mindless complaints. I wonder, do I do that? Probably not complaints, but I do find it difficult to remain silent when sitting with someone.Is filling up the space really a good thing?

I sat for some time, eating, drinking, sighing at the sight of all those boats in the marina and pondering Dongo and the bachelor life. Sometimes lonely, but today it afforded me the opportunity to think quietly, to re-center myself. 

I again dipped into the couple's conversation as they paid the check. Some cute banter about how she's the boss as she picked up the check. I felt better about them. 

Back at the boat, I shed my shirt and silently berated myself for not keeping some shorts on the boat. I cleaned up a bit. Poor Felix needs more love than I've been providing. More solitude and puttering brought me to the conclusion that I love this little boat and I should spend more time down at the marina, and also on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment