Wednesday, November 30, 2011

More Batch Lore

In my field, we are vicious users of acronyms. They are ubiquitous and you can usually spot the newbie by the confused look after an exchange like, "Where's the DSO? We were checking out the ITA with the DMM, before installing the TLB and PCM."

In case you were actually wondering:


DSO - Digital Sampling Oscilloscope

ITA - Interface Test Adapter
DMM - Digital MultiMeter
TLB - Termination & Load Board
PCM - Power & Control Module

It's so rampant that we jokingly call them TLAs...Three Letter Acronyms.


An interesting thing about TLAs is they are a convenient shortcut, allowing us to communicate faster and more efficiently. (To demonstrate, try repeating the sentence sounding out all those extra syllables).


I find that I use adages as shortcuts in a similar matter. For instance, I was explaining why I think most men and women don't belong living together. "Familiarity breeds contempt," is all I needed to say. This is an old adage, and like all adages, has truth but shouldn't be shoe-horned in unnecessarily. It is a shortcut to a long discussion about cohabitation. I would expect some people to object to my use of this adage, but the ones that have experienced the joys of a long marriage are conspicuously quiet. Well, the newly single ones usually respond with a lusty "Amen"! whereas the currently married ones generally look left, look right, then nod quietly and blush.


A friend of mine told me that cohabitation is the death of sex. That's her theory. I think "death" is a little harsh, but she has a point that is hard to ignore. When I am asked, I often joke about my GF moving in with me. I really don't want her seeing the unvarnished bachelor that is me, taking the time to bleach the skidmarks from my pantaloons. I would rather approach her clean shaven, smelling good and sporting clean underwear. Is there such a thing as too much intimacy? Hell yes.


Another adage I use a lot is, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and generally in that same discussion. If you want to make spending time with someone special again, the easiest way is to take a break from their company. In the case of a significant other, that time away is often your only opportunity to spend time with yourself... alone. I cherish my alone time.

2 comments: